OHOA Module: Building Trusted Relationships and Positive Self-Image
- Understand that trusted relationships and a positive self-image are the foundation for well-being and development.
- Describe key strategies to create reciprocal interactions from a deaf-blind perspective.
- Apply a consistent approach using turn-exchanges for starting, maintaining, and ending interactions.
- Apply affirmation of a student’s initiative or response.
- Analyze indicators of a student’s processing time.
- Learn to match observations of a student with strategies to share emotions with him or her.
- Describe specific strategies for establishing joint attention.
- Bernadette van den Tillaart (Lead)
- Caroline Daley
- Tina Hertzog
- Chris Montgomery
- Lauri Triulzi
Use of this Module
This module is available for free on our website. We invite anyone to use these materials. Please note that NCDB does not provide CEUs, certificates, or confirmation of completion.
Van den Tillaart, B., Daley, C., Hertzog, T., Montgomery, C., Triulzi, L. (2014, September, rev.). Building trusted relationships. In National Center on Deaf-Blindness, Open Hands, Open Access: Deaf-Blind Intervener Learning Modules. Monmouth, OR: National Center on Deaf-Blindness, The Research Institute at Western Oregon University.